Towards a Better Residential Strata Future
POST ELECTION COMMENT
OCN congratulates the newly elected Labor Government and looks forward to working closely together to deliver Labor’s election commitments.
OCN would also like to thank the outgoing NSW Coalition Government for its service to the people of NSW. In particular, OCN welcomed the appointment of the NSW Building Commissioner and the introduction of tough new laws to deliver improved apartment building standards and greater consumer protections.
OCN is asking key politicians and candidates to commit to a Better Residential Strata Future.
OCN raises ten key issues that face the strata sector and recommend actions towards a future with climate ready, resilient and empowered communities living in defect-free buildings.
Our Key Issues and Priorities for Government – 10 POINT PLAN
- Appoint a Senior Minister
- Ensure dedicated and specialist government resources
- Educate all strata stakeholders
- Empower consumer representation and the provision of data and insights
- Plan for Net Zero emissions
- Accelerate the electrification of strata buildings and adoption of Electric Vehicles
- Ensure emergency preparedness
- Update legislation to protect consumers
- Ensure all new buildings are defect free
- Resolve all major defects in existing building
- The Owners Corporation Network of Australia is the peak independent consumer body representing the interests of owners and occupiers of residential strata, community title and company title schemes.
- More than 1 in 5 people across NSW live in strata and community titled properties. By 2040 50% of Australians will be living in strata.
- 84,000 strata schemes in NSW valued at more than $404bn employing nearly 3,000 people.
- 97% of strata schemes have less than 50 units. 3% of schemes house 36% of strata residents in large complex buildings – a diverse sector
- Strata living demands a distinct approach from government.