Towards a Better Residential Strata Future
OCN is asking key politicians and candidates to commit to a Better Residential Strata Future.
OCN raises ten key issues that face the strata sector and recommend actions towards a future with climate ready, resilient and empowered communities living in defect-free buildings.
Our Key Issues and Priorities for Government – 10 POINT PLAN
- Appoint a Senior Minister
- Ensure dedicated and specialist government resources
- Educate all strata stakeholders
- Empower consumer representation and the provision of data and insights
- Plan for Net Zero emissions
- Accelerate the electrification of strata buildings and adoption of Electric Vehicles
- Ensure emergency preparedness
- Update legislation to protect consumers
- Ensure all new buildings are defect free
- Resolve all major defects in existing building
- The Owners Corporation Network of Australia is the peak independent consumer body representing the interests of owners and occupiers of residential strata, community title and company title schemes.
- More than 1 in 5 people across NSW live in strata and community titled properties. By 2040 50% of Australians will be living in strata.
- 84,000 strata schemes in NSW valued at more than $404bn employing nearly 3,000 people.
- 97% of strata schemes have less than 50 units. 3% of schemes house 36% of strata residents in large complex buildings – a diverse sector
- Strata living demands a distinct approach from government.